Instructions – How To Use:
Installing the software is a pretty straight forward process. After starting the setup, the user just selects the folder where the application will be installed and then the application is installed.
Using the Application:
- Measure units – Allows choosing between Inches and Centimeters
- Height – This is the vertical book dimension
- Width – The width is formed by the front and back cover of the book and it doesn’t include flaps or spine size. Those sizes are added automatically to the final width of the cover prior exporting to the desired format. If a book with dimensions of 6” x 9” would have 12 in the Width field (6” front + 6” back cover) and 9 in the Height field.
- Resolution – The application allows choosing from 5 predefined resolutions from 72DPI to 600DPI, allowing high quality templates to be generated.
- Spine – The Spine of a book refers to the outside edge of the book where the pages are gathered and bound.
In addition to providing an anchor point for the pages, the spine provides the hinge action that allows the book’s cover and pages to open and close.In most cases, the spines of hard cover books and perfect bound books are wide enough to be printed upon. However, the number of pages and the thickness of the pages is what determines the width of a book’s spine. The wider the spine, the more surface area it provides for printed information. Printing the title and other features on a book’s spine allows the book to be identified while it stands vertically on a shelf or lies horizontally in a stack.The application allows the user to set fixed Spine size if it is known or to set number of pages. If number of pages is used then the user has to set the PPI (pages per inch) value. Spine is calculated by dividing the number of pages to the PPI. The value of PPI can be taken from the paper specifications.
- Bleed area – The bleed is the area to be trimmed off and it is the part on the side of a document that gives the printer a small amount of space to account for movement of the paper, and design inconsistencies. Artwork and background colors can extend into the bleed area. After trimming, the bleed ensures that no unprinted edges occur in the final trimmed document.Bleeds in the USA generally are 1/8 of an inch from where the cut is to be made. Bleeds in the UK and Europe generally are 2 to 5mm from where the cut is to be made.
- Flaps – Flaps is usually referred to the detachable outer cover, usually made of paper and printed with text and illustrations. This is when a book jacket or hard cover with wraparounds is designed. The application allows entering the flaps size of each side, so if the book has flaps size of 2”on each cover then the total width of the template will be extended with 4” (2×2”).
- ISBN – Book cover Template Generator allows creating of high quality ISBN barcodes, complying with the international standards for using ISBN. The application allows entering 10-digit barcode to which automatically 978 is added at the beginning or 13-digit barcode.Hyphen is also allowed to be entered.So one can enter: 9788175257665 or 9-788-1752-5766-5 or even 8175257660 as a value in the field for ISBN and the result will be:
- Scale – Scale is only enabled when an ISBN is to be generated and it allows the user to specify scaling portion of the barcode – so when the resolution is large and in order the barcode to look proportional to the entire document, a larger scale is used. Scale cannot be less than 1.
- Price – Some publishers require a barcode for price to be entered. This is a five digit field and when a price of $19.95 is to be entered then the field should be populated with 51995 as a value for the barcode.
Preview and Export of the Result
From the main screen the user can view the result by hitting the “View Result” button. If registered, the application will allow the user to export the resulting template into either .bmp or .jpg file. In demo mode the application will allow only previewing the result for couple of days after the first start. The user can always close the preview window and change the specifications and generate the most appropriate template.
View the book jacket template sample.